From Cobblers To Wobblers

by on 29/11/05 at 5:59 pm

Phew…a few more minutes and the Bee’s may have stung our asses!!

Rovers nearly threw a wobbler today at the Memorial Stadium, but held on to put a bland Barnet to the sword.

Firstly, well done to both sets of supporters who held an impeccable minutes silence for the late, great George Best.

Once the one minutes respect was complete Rovers set about turning around their fortunes after last weeks dismal result against Northampton.

Robbie Ryan was out of the starting XI due to injury, so Carruthers dropped back which allowed Campbell to start on the Left Wing.
Hunt and Disley were holding the middle, but this soon changed to Hunt and Leary as Dizzy had to go off due to a knock on the leg.

Team news aside the first half was one of the most productive in the last couple of seasons.
Neat, clean, no-nonsense passing football allowed Rovers to have plenty of possession to try linking runs down the wing and through balls down the middle to feed Richie ???Da da da da??? Walker and Junior ???Junior! Junior! Junior!??? Agogo.

This patient style didn???t have long to wait for an opening though, as a period of Gas pressure and closing down led to a mistake at the back.
A misplaced pass by one of the Barnet players allowed the ball to be put through by James Hunt to an unmarked Walker who gladly proceeded to chip the ball over the stranded Bees keeper after only five minutes.

In recent times a Rovers lead has been followed by long periods of sitting back waiting for the opposition to get an equaliser, however we stuck to our game plan which was making mid-table Barnet look very average indeed.

The lively Strevens and Conference goal-bagger Grazioli were being locked up tight by a commanding Elliott and Hinton- which allowed Carruthers and Lescott more time to link up with the left and right wingers respectively.

A very solid Rovers were only delayed a second goal by fifteen minutes, as more patient build up gave a chance for a clinical through ball to be slotted to Walker who dispatched his 10th goal of the season into the bottom corner of the net.

The Gas maintained their bossy passing play throughout the entire half, keeping their guests restricted to few, poor-quality chances that summed up their hosts??? dominance.

The half-time interval came and went, and it seemed the only way forward would be more Rovers dominance, however a shaky start to the new half, coupled with a Ben Strevens headed goal on 68 minutes led to a period of Rovers self-doubt.

I have never seen such a turnaround in confidence after a goal- we went from solid to sloppy quicker than you can say ???Ooh Betty I???ve got a bit of trouble???.

However, unlike recent performances Rovers had a silver lined cloud today, along with a bit of luck as the only consolation Barnet got was a crossbar bound effort from Grazioli and an extended period of pressure.

Rovers walked away with three points, much needed considering a loss would have put us third-bottom; but today???s first sixty minute performance suggests we have a lot of positives to take to our FA Cup Second Round game versus Port Vale next Saturday.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.